IRN-BRU SFL First Division review

Tuesday 19th March 2013

Dunfermline showed at the weekend that they are determined not to go down without a fight on and as they battled back to gain a 1-1 draw at Raith Rovers.

Raith went ahead on 39 minutes and a high ball into the Dunfermline box forced Andy Dowie into a mistake and Greig Spence capitalised by netting from close range, however the East End Park side rallied.

They forced a leveller 12 minutes into the second half when Andy Geggan converted a Ryan Wallace knock-down.

Dunfermline boss Jim Jefferies said: “The players showed a will and a determination to get something and I am proud of them for that. It would have been terrible if they did not get something from the game and actually we could have had more as I saw 3 good penalty claims for us.”

Raith boss Grant Murray said: “You feel for Dunfermline and their players but we had to make up for a disappointing display against Livingston last weekend and I thought we did that. Both sides put on a great game and deserve credit for it.”

Whilst Dunfermline’s title challenge is long gone both leaders Morton and Partick Thistle won again with the Greenock side defeating hosts Dumbarton 3-0 and the Jags seeing off Hamilton 2-0.

Michael Tidser’s left footed rocket shot from nearly 30 yards broke the deadlock on 32 minutes at the Bet Butler Stadium and the Cappielow side were well in command 6 minutes later when Martin Hardie dived to head home a Kevin Rutkiewicz chipped pass.

The third goal came 9 minutes from time with a deep cross from Thomas O’Ware being unselfishly headed back across goal by Colin McMenamin and Peter MacDonald heading home.

Thistle took the lead at New Douglas Park just before half-time when a Ross Forbes corner was put over the goalline by a combination of Jags defender Conrad Balatoni and Hamilton’s Stevie May with Balatoni later admitting that it was May who got the last touch.

There was no doubt that Christie Elliot was the scorer of the second goal with 6 minutes left as he netted with a  fine curling shot from 20 yards out.

Cowdenbeath’s Craig Moore struck with 2 minutes left to earn the Fifers a 3-2 win over Airdrie to send the Blue Brazil 10 points clear of the Diamonds at the foot of the table.

Airdrie striker Jordan Moore opened the scoring on 12 minutes, however Marc McKenzie levelled within 60 seconds and the score remained tied until midway through the second half when Greg Stewart tapped the Central Park side ahead.

Jordan Kirkpatrick levelled from 20 yards out with eight minutes remaining, however Moore struck late on to send Airdrie closer to the drop.

The Livingston and Falkirk match was a late casualty of the snow that started falling just after lunchtime on Saturday.

IRN-BRU SFL Cans for Youth Teams

view all articles »