IRN-BRU Third Division Review

Tuesday 5th February 2013

It was as you were a day for draws in the Third Division with all four fixtures ending all square with second placed Queen’s Park drawing 2-2 at Hampden with Annan.

The Galabank side took the lead on 21 minutes when Martin McNiff scored from 30 yards with home goalkeeper Neil Parry looking sluggish as he tried to get down to save.

Annan could have added further goals before the break however the Spiders improved in the second half and striker Jamie Longworth broke a five month goal drought when he headed in from close range to level just before the hour mark.

Annan substitute Ally Love scrambled the ball home after further comical home defending to give his side the lead with 6 minutes to go, however David Anderson darted forward straight from the kick off to find Longworth.

The striker showed that his goal touch was definitely back when he slammed home from 20 yards to tie the scores and cut Rangers lead at the top to 19 points.

Hampden head coach Gardner Speirs said: “We were poor in the first half when all of our passes seemed to go back the way. We were better in the second and it was good to see that Jamie has rediscovered his way to goal.”

Recently appointed Annan boss Jim Chapman said: “In my two games in charge we have drawn with promotion chasing sides Peterhead and Queen’s Park. I have seen lots of good things and also a fair amount of naivety especially in the way we gave away the second goal just seconds after we had gone in front.”

Third placed Montrose came from two goals behind to draw with a visiting East Stirling side that led through David Greenhill’s fine early brace.

Martin Boyle scored the first goal since his return to the club on loan from Dundee when he fired home 7 minutes from half-time. David Gray, who shot home the equaliser it Ibrox against Rangers last weekend, netted 8 minutes from time to secure a point for the Links Park side.

Peterhead’s Rory McAllister shot home from 25 yards after just 5 minutes against Berwick Rangers at Balmoor, however Darren Lavery replied 60 seconds later with no further scoring seeing the game end in a 1-1 draw.

Clyde and Elgin also finished 1-1 with Stefan McCluskey netting for the Bully Wee right on half time and Paul Millar replying 12 minutes from time when substitute Paul Millar took advantage of a defensive mistake.


view all articles »