The famous pavilion was built in 1907 and the main stand was added in 1925. Broomfield's record attendance was 24,000 for a Scottish Cup tie against Hearts in 1952.
Floodlights were installed in 1956 and the enclosure was covered in 1959. European football came to Airdrie in 1992/93 when the Diamonds faced Sparta Prague in the Cup Winners' Cup.
The last match staged at Broomfield was in May 1994 when Airdrie beat Dunfermline Athletic 1-0 in a First Division game in front of 6,878 fans.
The site was sold to a supermarket chain and the club spent several seasons groundsharing with Clyde at Broadwood before moving into the 10,000 all-seater Excelsior Stadium in August 1998.