Scottish Professional Football League
The SPFL is committed to protecting your personal information. This policy describes how The Scottish Professional Football League Limited (SC175364) (referred to as “the SPFL”, “we”, “us” and “our”) collects and uses your personal information when you interact with us through our Website (www.spfl.co.uk) or otherwise. Please take the time to read this policy in full to understand our data protection practices.
If you have any questions concerning the use of your personal information or if you would like to discuss this policy with us, please contact us:
- By email at [email protected]uk; or
- In writing at The Scottish Professional Football League, Hampden Park, Glasgow, G42 9DE.
What information we collect and when we collect it
We may collect personal and non-personal information about you when you interact with us in each of the following ways:
- When you register for an online user account with us or when you sign up to receive our newsletter and email updates, we will collect your name and email address.
- When you contact us via email, telephone, in writing, or through any of our social media platforms, we will collect your name, contact details and any other information that you provide to us.
- When you make an enquiry, complaint or provide us with feedback we will collect your name, contact details and any other information that you provide to us.
- When you use the Website we may collect certain technical information, including your IP address. We also may collect information about traffic data, location data and usage when you visit our Website. We will only collect such data in aggregate form (so that no individual user is identified).
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information for the following purposes:
- When you register for an online user account with us, we will use your personal information to provide you with and manage your online account. This processing of your personal information is necessary for our legitimate interests in operating, administering and commercialising all SPFL competitions. Interacting with those individuals who want to engage with the SPFL allows us to achieve that purpose.
- When you sign up to receive our newsletter and email updates, we will use your personal information to email you football related news updates and associated video content. We will only send you the newsletters and email updates with your consent which we obtain at the point you request to receive them. You may withdraw your consent to processing your personal information for this purpose at any time by contacting us or by clicking “unsubscribe” in the footer of any of our newsletters or email updates.
- When you contact us in any way to make an enquiry or complaint or to provide us with your feedback, we will use your personal information to process your enquiry, to resolve any complaint or to follow up on your feedback. This processing of your personal information is necessary for our legitimate interests in responding to members of the public, including supporters of SPFL member clubs, in relation to the administration of SPFL competitions. Monitoring and responding to feedback in this way allows us to continuously review and improve our business operations.
- We may use your personal information (as well as pseudonymised or anonymised information generated from your personal information) to carry out analysis and research. We carry out such analysis and research because it is necessary for our legitimate interests in understanding how members of the public interact with the SPFL and understanding how we can develop and improve those interactions.
How long we keep your personal information for
We only keep your personal information for as long as necessary for the purposes we collected it for and for as long afterwards as is necessary to comply with our legal obligations or as is necessary in our legitimate interests to retain it.
- when you register for an online user account with us, we will keep your personal information for the duration of your account with us.
- when you make an enquiry or complaint or provide us with feedback, we will keep your personal information for as long as is necessary to resolve the enquiry or complaint or to address your feedback and handle any follow-up correspondence with you.
We review our retention periods on a regular basis. If you ask us to delete your personal information in accordance with your rights set out below, we will retain basic information on a suppression list to record your request and to avoid sending you unwanted communications in the future.
Who we share your information with
We may also share your personal information with third parties where the disclosure is required by law. Where disclosure to third parties is required by law, our legal basis for processing your information in this way is that it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation that we are subject to.
Transfers to countries outside of the UK and EU
Your personal information may be transferred to, and stored in, countries outside of the UK and EU for the above purposes. The SPFL will take steps to ensure your personal information is adequately protected in countries outside of the UK and EU.
Third Party Websites
When you visit our Website we may automatically collect information provided to us by cookies. We will only collect such data in aggregate form (so that no individual user is identified).
Under data protection legislation in the UK and EU, you have certain rights regarding the use of your personal information, including the right to:
- change your communication preferences and withdraw any consent that you have given us;
- access the personal information that we hold about you in many circumstances;
- request that we delete or correct any personal information that we hold about you;
- restrict the processing of your personal information;
- port your personal information in certain circumstances;
- not be subject to a solely automated decision; and
- contact and/or lodge a complaint with the UK regulator, the Information Commissioner’s Office, if you have concerns about how we use your personal information. Please see https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ to find out more.
Please contact us if you would like to exercise any of your data protection rights.
We may amend this policy from time to time. If we make any substantial changes, we will notify you by posting a prominent notice on our Website. This policy was last updated in May 2018.