Latest News

alt description

Friday 24th July 2015

10 things about the Petrofac Cup

The new season kicks off this weekend with the first round of the Petrofac Training Cup as 32 clubs bid for a place in Monday's second-round draw.

The new season kicks off this weekend with the first round of the Petrofac Training Cup as 32 clubs bid for a place in Monday's second-round draw.

Here are 10 things you might not know about the tournament, which was most recently won by Livingston at McDiarmid Park in April.

1 The competition began life as the B&Q Centenary Cup in 1990/91 to mark 100 years of the Scottish Football League. It has been played every season since then, with the exception of 1998/99. Dundee were the first winners – Billy Dodds scoring a hat-trick in a 3-2 victory over Ayr United at Fir Park.

2 The only manager to have won the competition twice is Terry Christie (pictured). He guided Stenhousemuir to victory over Dundee United in 1995/96 and was in charge when Alloa lifted the trophy against Inverness Caley Thistle in 1999/00.

3 The first goal in last season's Petrofac Training Cup was scored by Berwick Rangers striker Darren Lavery after just three minutes of their Friday night fixture against Queen's Park at the Excelsior Stadium. Berwick won on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

4 Five current SPFL managers have guided a team to success in this competition - Ian McCall (Airdrie in 2001/02), John Hughes (Falkirk in 2004/05), Gus MacPherson (St Mirren in 2005/06), Allan Johnston (Queen of the South in 2012/13) and Mark Burchill (Livingston in 2014/15).

5 Last season's Petrofac Training Cup produced 112 goals – an average of 3.61 per game.

6 Falkirk have reached the final on four occasions and have won each time - against St Mirren in 1993/94, Queen of the South in 1997/98, Ross County in 2004/05 and Hamilton Accies in 2011/12.

7 Paul Sheerin scored a hat-trick in the 1999/00 final but still ended up on the losing side as Alloa beat Inverness Caley Thistle on penalties after a thrilling 4-4 draw.

8 One of the most remarkable games in the history of the competition was at Borough Briggs on Saturday July 28, 2012 when visitors Arbroath beat Elgin City 7-5, helped by hat-tricks from Lee Sibanda and Darren Gribben.

9 Hamilton Accies and Meadowbank Thistle contested the 1992/93 semi-final, which ended 1-1 after extra time. Accies eventually prevailed 2-1 on spot-kicks, in what must be one of the lowest-scoring shoot-outs in football history! Remarkably, a total of 14 kicks were taken and 11 were missed - with goalkeepers Allan Ferguson and Stephen Ellison in inspired form.

10 The first ever hat-trick in the tournament was scored by John Sludden of Kilmarnock on October 2, 1990 in a 4-1 first-round win over Stirling Albion at Rugby Park.