Latest News

alt description

Tuesday 27th January 2015

Dundee United: Road to the semis

We take a look back at Dundee United's journey to the semi-finals of the Scottish League Cup, presented by QTS.

It’s the biggest weekend of the football season so far, with Hampden all set to host the semi-finals of the Scottish League Cup, presented by QTS.
Dundee United take on Aberdeen in the first of the semis on Saturday.
United kicked off their League Cup campaign by welcoming city rivals Dundee to Tannadice. Rado Cierzniak played a crucial role by saving Greg Stewart’s first-half penalty.
The visitors were reduced to 10 men soon after ,when Martin Boyle was sent off for denying Stuart Armstrong a clear goalscoring opportunity.
With the match looking destined for extra time, Jaroslaw Fojut rose highest to head home Gary Mackay-Steven’s corner and secure United’s spot in the quarter-finals.
United then travelled to Easter Road to take on Championship side Hibernian, in what turned out to be a classic quarter-final.
Chris Erskine put the visitors ahead after 12 minutes, catching out Liam Fontaine before sending a well-placed shot past Mark Oxley.
The hosts drew level soon after thanks to Dominique Malonga. Scott Allan picked out Malonga with a perfectly-placed through ball and the Congo internationalist made no mistake with a low shot into the corner of the net.
United were back in front only three minutes later. Ryan Dow got on the end of a fine pass from John Rankin and did well to get back on his feet after a coming together with Hibs keeper Oxley. Dow sent in a low cross that was dispatched by Aidan Connolly.
It was all square on 57 minutes with Jason Cummings heading home from close range to make it 2-2.
United took the lead four minutes later thanks to Dow. The midfielder nodded the ball home from a corner to trigger crazy celebrations amongst the visiting support.
The hosts were back on level pegging with 12 minutes to go. Matthew Kennedy cut in from the left wing and saw his shot take a wicked deflection off a United defender before looping over Cierzniak into the net.
It took penalties to separate the sides. The tie looked to be slipping away from United after John Rankin sent his spot-kick over the bar but parity was restored when Cierzniak saved from Kennedy.
Conor Townsend kept cool and dispatched his kick before Cierzniak saved from Hibs captain David Gray to secure a semi-final berth for United.